Saturday, June 15, 2013

With Everything I Have


"Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:18


So last weekend my mom and I decided to go to my grandparents' house. It had been a little while since we had seen them and spending time with them was really nice. While we were out there visiting, we went to church. My grandma has always found pleasure in us going to church with her and fellowshipping with her friends afterwards, but I have to admit I didn't really want to go this time (only because I missed home and was eager to get back). However, despite my eagerness to get home, we went with them to church and let me tell you: God sure knew what He was doing (not that I'm at all surprised)!

We took a seat in the pews and that was when I first noticed this elderly woman who was seated in front of us. She looked like she was about ninety. Her hair was messed up, she had on a night gown that had stains on it, and she had an oxygen tank. Seeing me look at her, my grandpa nudged me saying, "That's Susie. She's hasn't been feeling well lately, but she prayed and God helped her to make it to church." As the service continued, I found my eyes wandering in her direction. It wasn't hard to tell that she was in pain and that she was really struggling. But what really got me was she was still worshiping the Lord with all she had. We would be saying the Lord's prayer and she was saying it at her own pace (which was a little slower than the rest of the congregation), but did that stop her? No. She was truly worshiping the Lord. Towards the end of the service I got a chance to meet her. I said hi and God bless you. She reached out her shaky hand to shake mine and simply responded in a croaky voice, "Bless you darling!" Throughout the rest of the service I couldn't help, but just watch her. It was such a wonderful sight to see her praying and praising the Lord. I was sad to see her and her husband leave early because she was in pain. 

After the service, I had mentioned Susie to my mom and just how awesome it was to see her praising the Lord. She said she had the exact same thought. Whenever I remember her in service, giving God all she had, I can't help but tear up (even now as I write this)! It was truly so beautiful to see.

The Lord taught me so much through Susie. What started out as me just having compassion for her soon turned into jealousy. I found myself longing and craving for the relationship she had with her dear Savior. He showed me that day exactly what true worship looked like. It isn't about how well we can sing, how we feel, how we sing or what others think about us, it's about thanking God for all that He has blessed us with (in the good and bad times). I always knew this, but God used Susie as an example of what a true heart of worship looked like. 

Habakkuk 3:18 has been my favorite verse for a long time and now I love this verse even more! Every time I read this now I can't help, but remember dear Susie. So I encourage you guys: worship the Lord with all you have!  You don't have to the best singer or even musically gifted. Just worship the Lord because let's face it, He truly deserves everything we have to offer (no matter what our circumstances might be)! And worship is not only confined to music, it also consists of our words and actions. We should let our love for God shine through everything we do, so that others might see it and want the same relationship with Jesus. I know it might sound cliche, but by living our lives in this way we could truly start a revolution! We'll be growing closer to our Savior and leading others to Him in the process, just like Susie did and continues to do. 

"And on that day when my strength is failing, the end draws near and my time has come. Still my soul will sing Your praise unending. Ten thousand years then forever more! Bless the Lord oh my soul. Oh oh oh my soul. I worship Your holy name. Sing like never before. Oh my soul. I worship Your holy name." (Lyrics from 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman).


No comments:

Post a Comment